Good evening!

I think it was the year that I was born that Nelson Mandela was released from prison. He was in prison for more than 25 years! I cannot imagine what that could have been like, and perhaps I do not want to imagine. While in prison, he spent over 18 years in a cell that was 8ft by 7ft on Robben Island. He slept on a straw mat. Can you imagine what that would have been like? It is a hard thing for me to imagine.

He was wrongfully put into prison, and because of that he had many, many years taken from him. Racism was very big at that time in South Africa, and Mandela had been put into prison because of it.

What is truly unbelievable is that when Nelson Mandela was released from prison in the year that I was born, he wanted reconciliation. He chose to forgive those that had taken so much from him. In his mind and emotions, he didn't stay in prison, he left! And he did that by reconciling.

When I think about his choice to find reconciliation and not to take restitution, I find myself feeling like I can make the better choices. I find myself inspired to be more, and that nothing can hold back my dreams.

5 years after prison, Nelson Mandela became the first Black South African President. He is one of the greatest examples of what it looks like to keep your dreams alive.

What have you been dreaming about? Have you felt like there are been things that keep your dreams in 'prison'?

We have the power to hold onto our dreams!