Thread: Voilence in Nunavut Communities

Administrator

Voilence in Nunavut Communities

ACYF is shocked by the events in Baker Lake and Kimmirut which took place over this past Easter long weekend. Sad that these events are happening more and more..

The Foundation believes it should be making a statement- but anything ACYF says, must come from the youth.

What is happening in the communities that brings this about?
    What can be done to stop it?

Super Moderator
    Nunavut’s capital hit by wave of brazen thefts
    “Just lock the doors — plain and simple" - www.nunatsiaqonline.ca

It is very sad. I'm not used to locking my doors at home, there's always people coming in and out for visits..
    The deaths in Kimmirut are a sad event. Rough for the people who reside there I can imagine and my heart goes out to the community

In a way, I think a part of the problem is our hectic lifestyles, our need to progress and get ahead as individuals, we tend to neglect the rest/situation/environment around us as long as we're materially comfortable. It's part of Capitalist/materialist lifestyle i guess, more concern for the individual than the body/whole/others. Then again, if the system worked perfectly, everyone had employment/income, jobs and recreation to keep them active, relieving the idle hands of their ability to be destructive, everything would be alright.

It's like being stuck between a rock and a hard place. It's a tough situation. I think people have to come together with this one. Anyone else have any ideas on how to address it all?

Its been said time and time again. It is almost always alcohol and substance abuse that cause people to loose control and do horrible things up here - but those are just a symptom of many underlying issues that we don't have the resources to deal with. Its sad to say - but I dont believe anything will change until our people begin healing and have the long term support needed to do that.
    “Those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw

Administrator
    Support is needed and there is not the resources to help in the Arctic Regions. As we have seen in the paper there needs to be more resourses and centers to help fight addictions, as well to get the proper counseling to deal with the underlying issues that are the real problems.

Banned
    That sounds quite reasonable if we see in general how maximum things works certainly it helps us with understanding a lot and also knowing things is fine enough thousand islands boat tour takes care of many factors sensibly when it comes top traveling.