Thread: Parents guide to kids and cell phones

Super Moderator

Question Parents guide to kids and cell phones

Should be careful and you should think about what type of phone and what service to use for your child of tween

Here are some tips and guides to answer your mind numbing questions from
    http://www.commonsensemedia.org/advi...nd-cell-phones

What are the basic safety rules for cell phones?

Basic safety skills are essential for kids' safety and privacy. Here are the areas kids will need to be responsible for, plus some best practices.

Texting
    Be respectful -- both to the people you're texting with and those around you.
    Be careful. Assume that even "private" texts can become public.

Calling
    Verify the caller or texter. Don't respond to numbers you don't know.
    Answer the phone when it's Mom or Dad. Make sure your kid knows to answer when it's YOU calling!

Cameras
    Ask permission. Before you snap someone's picture, take a video, or forward something, ask if it's OK.
    Don't publicly embarrass people. Don't post someone's photo -- especially unflattering ones -- from your cell phone without permission.

Apps and downloads

Manage costs. Make sure your kids understand that they're spending real money when they download apps, games, and music.
    Use filters. Check your phone for parental controls that let you filter out age-inappropriate content, restrict downloads, and prevent in-app purchases.
    Posting

Be selective -- not impulsive. Make sure kids know to be very selective about what they post from their cell phone.

Be safe. Explain why they shouldn't use location services.

More tips and guides on http://www.commonsensemedia.org/advi...nd-cell-phones check it out

Super Moderator
    It's also not good to sleep near your phone while it's on.

Cell phones and sleep incompatible for teens
    A CTV Calgary article
    - "Sixteen-year-old Madison Breckenridge, like many teenagers, sleeps with her cell phone beside her bed. She uses it as her alarm clock, but what she didn't realize is that the device is actually ruining her sleep. “I didn't understand why when I did fall asleep, I would still feel tired when I woke up.”

How Mobile Phones Affect Sleep
    A Huffington post article
    - "If your phone wakes you up in the morning, it may also be keeping you up at night. A 2008 study funded by major mobile phone makers themselves showed that people exposed to mobile radiation took longer to fall asleep and spent less time in deep sleep.

"The study indicates that during laboratory exposure to 884 MHz wireless signals components of sleep believed to be important for recovery from daily wear and tear are adversely affected," the study concluded." -

I also turn off my internet modem and other electronics before I go to bed at night.
    Can WiFi Signals Stunt Plant Growth?
    An ABC news article
    -"A Danish science experiment by a group of 9th-graders has gained worldwide interest and may have us rethinking the proliferation of wireless devices in our homes."-