+ Reply to Thread

Thread: YAC Conference Topics - Discussion

YAC Conference Topics - Discussion

We have outlined eight discussion areas for the upcoming Youth Arctic Coalition conference in February of 2014. We would like your thoughts on these topics:

- How is your life and your community impacted by these issues?
    - What changes need to happen in order to make things better?

Topics:

1. Food Security
    2. Resource Exploration
    3. Culture and languages
    4. Health and well-being
    5. Human Rights/Right of Indigenous Groups
    6. Arctic contaminants
    7. Education
    8. Arctic sovereignty
    Jenna Gall
    Northern Canada Outreach Director
    Youth Arctic Coalition

Administrator
    Hi Jenna,
    Can you give us a little overview of YAC, what area of the Arctic you work in, what age group do you target, and what is your vision or mission for the YAC? How did the YAC come about and what do you see for the future of the YAC.

Thanks
    Kylie

Hi Kylie!

Great questions. The YAC began in late 2012 and was born from ideas that many youth had after travelling with Students on Ice to the Arctic. Many youth, both international and from northern and southern Canada felt that there voice was not being heard at the Arctic Council level. Many felt that if various individuals and youth organizations joined together to create a common voice on issues that impact them, we could have a stronger, more united voice to bring forward to politicians.

Currently, the Youth Arctic Council exists in all eight Arctic nations. The organization aims to bring together various youth organizations that already exist as well as individuals who are interested in raising the concerns of young people living north of 60. For more information, our website includes our history and our current progress, check it out here: www.youtharcticcoalition.org

For the YAC, the term 'youth' is quite flexible and refers to people between 15-30 years of age. This ensures that the concerns of different ages of youth are raised and different perspective can be brought forward. Currently, our Steering Committee, which meets on Sundays, includes youth mostly between 18-23! However, we are always looking for more youth to be involved at the leadership level. We are currently seeking someone to take on the position of Sponsorship Director - this person would be in charge of seeking sponsorship to make our conference in February bigger and more accessible to youth in the North!

If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to email me at canadaoutreach@youtharcticcoalition.org! Thanks so much!
    Jenna Gall
    Northern Canada Outreach Director
    Youth Arctic Coalition

Super Moderator
    1. Food security.
    the prices of food is problem the issue we have here, especially for those with a lower income. And i think the change that is needed here is to lower the cost of freight/shipping to the communities.

2.Resource Exploration.
    I have seen this to create some jobs for community members and have had no issues with it.

3.Culture and languages.
    I believe Tuk can do more to encourage cultural activities, events. arctic sports, drumming&dancing, hunting trapping etc.

4.health and well-being
    most everyone i know is pretty healthy for my age anyways, maybe not in the best of shape, but ok. some changes that would be made is having a facility to play sports in, like basketball,soccer,volleyball,etc

5.Human Rights/Rights of Indigenous Groups.

6.Arctic contaminants.
    I always have in the back of my mind the thought of all the contaminants coming down the rivers and coming here to the Arctic ocean and possible having negative effects to the whales and fish that we eat.

7.Education
    well a lot can be said on this topic i'm sure, but i will just say maybe the schools need more funding? maybe better internet so students can do classes online, that they wouldn't otherwise be able to get in there community?

8.Arctic sovereignty.
    I truly believe we need to better equip The Canadian Rangers, dont you think?

Welchcork

I am so grateful for your post.Much thanks again. Want more.

I am so grateful for your post.Much thanks again. Want more.

Banned
    It is a really interesting discussion. I appreciate you very much for this effort. At this time I am going to denver bus tours with my few friends. It is really amazing destination around the world. Has anyone ever visited there before?

Hi!

Great questions. The YAC began in late 2012 and was born from ideas that many youth had after travelling with Students on Ice to the Arctic. Many youth, both international and from northern and southern Canada felt that there voice was not being heard at the Arctic Council level. Many felt that if various individuals and youth organizations joined together to create a common voice on issues that impact them, we could have a stronger, more united voice to bring forward to politicians........!!!!
    Sumer

Banned
    Yes its more like the basics that should be bothered before going to a new place. Currently in my opinion packaging like tanner mainstain should be used that provides a lot to the user and contains a lot that helps the user quite goodly.

+ Reply to Thread