+ Reply to Thread

Thread: An Interagency Approach

Guest Moderator

An Interagency Approach

Here is something I wrote in 2010:

"Seeking to ensure youth are connected with their families, Making Connections established the Pangnirtung Interagency for Youth and Their Families in the fall of 2008. The Interagency meets monthly and includes front line representatives from all sectors dealing with youth including health, social, recreation, education and enforcement workers amongst others. Perhaps the most notable example of the Interagency in action during the last two years has been its attempt to respond to the crisis of youth suicide in families here. Through suicide intervention training, public meetings, community mail outs, radio programs, school events, embrace life activities and grief counselling, the work of the Pangnirtung Interagency has been recognized across the region. This work continues."

The Interagency model is something I am passionate about. I generally chaired meetings in my fluent English and halting Inuktitut. In recent years our Mayor, Sakiasie Sowdlooapik was a big supporter and encouraged all the agencies to attend. Sometimes we felt we did not make a lot of progress with issues but I always felt the discussion was helpful. Communities need a forum to get together talk honestly about what is happening.
    Chris Heide - Guest moderator for June 17-20.

Super Moderator
    indeed this sounds quite interesting! there should be something like this here in Tuk.

Guest Moderator
    There has been an Interagency in Pangnirtung for years but sometimes it sort of drifts away if there is no leadership. When Making Connections got behind it the agencies really rallied around. I am particularly proud of the work we did on Suicide Prevention: public meetings, healing sessions, counselling, workshops, ASIST training. But lately the group has drifted again. Fortunately our Mayor is a strong supporter of the need for this group. This municipal (hamlet) leadership is critical to the success of an Interagency. I would urge other Nunavut mayors to call this sort of meeting to ensure all social agencies in the community work together.
    Chris Heide - Guest moderator for June 17-20.

+ Reply to Thread