+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crime Prevention and Justice

Guest Moderator

Crime Prevention and Justice

In the previous thread on Social Capital, Eric and I were writing about the need for longterm support when attempting to provide services for Inuit youth. With Making Connections for Youth in Pangnirtung our solid longer term supporter has been the National Crime Prevention Centre who pledged 1.6 million dollars over five years. We are very grateful.

As Eric writes, we feel our crime prevention work has been worthwhile. That said, there is still crime in Pangnirtung that's for sure! When we are unable to prevent crime by youth then we expect the Justice system to take over. I believe that system is failing our community. Circuit Court comes and goes often wrecking havoc. Community Justice, on the other hand, does not seem to be providing adequate follow-up either.

This fall we had trauma counsellor Jim Hall in Pangnirtung for a series of workshops with our youth workers and other interested parties. This quote is from his report after that visit:

"The opportunity to discuss the “Community Justice” program revealed that none of the participants had a very clear sense of what the program was about. Although not necessarily so, this may indicate that the program is not well understood by the greater community. If some of the people hired to work with young people are not familiar with the program it does create the question, how well do the young people who will be directly affected by the program if they break the law understand its expectations and demands on a young offender? How much of a deterrent is the program, or even a refocusing platform if the people who will come in direct contact don’t understand the program or its intensions?"

Good questions Jim... Anyone else have thoughts on this?
    Chris Heide - Guest moderator for June 17-20.

Guest Moderator
    Anyone from another Nunavut community have experience with their Community Justice committee or Circuit Court? Perhaps the system is working better elsewhere?

Super Moderator
    can you explain what is circuit court?

Guest Moderator
    Circuit Court is the traveling court that comes around to each Nunavut community to hear cases and pronounce sentences. Often the judges are new to the North. The lawyers and judges do not always understand the community issues as they often to not speak Inuktitut. I am not sure we are getting good justice this way.

Super Moderator
    oh i see we have the same thing here in Tuk!

Guest Moderator
    Do you think it works to deliver justice in Tuk?

Super Moderator
    i would like to think it works! but i havent been on the other side of the law and dont have any experience on this issues in the court! but from what i hear is most people cant afford a lawyer and have to use legal aid, and when they do the person has hardly any contact with the lawyer.

Guest Moderator
    We are fortunate to have legal aid but many of our local cases really need more informed lawyers and a more informed court.

Strengthen the legal awareness of youth and moral education, government must manage a strong judiciary.

Banned
    Its being quite common nowadays and also if we see sticking to many things is the way how it has to be thousand islands boat tours is a source of touring and it always grows sensibly because of the way it has the concept.

+ Reply to Thread