PDA

View Full Version : Iqaluit hunters killed in 1994 honoured at hockey tournament

Lease
12-08-2014, 10:09 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/iqaluit-hunters-killed-in-1994-boat-wreck-honoured-at-tournament-1.2863453
A hockey tournament is being held in Iqaluit this weekend in memory of eight hunters who died in a boating accident 20 years ago.

In 1994, a heavy catch of walrus caused the vessel to start taking in water. And then the weather turned.

The crew got caught in a bad storm near Iqaluit down Frobisher Bay. The boat capsized, and left two crew members hanging on as it drifted about 150 kilometres outside town.
Teams from Yellowknife, Rankin Inlet, Kuujjuaq and Ottawa are in Iqaluit for the tournament.
Pitseolak Alainga was one of the two survivors of the boating accident. He braved high waves and freezing temperatures for three days, while hanging onto the back of the drifting boat two decades ago.

He said the memory of that time is still fresh in his mind.

"I was speechless for a bit, and then I took a breath and all that heavy stuff, heavy burden on my back was once again taken off ... And now we're going to move on, and still be happy and enjoy the hockey tournament each year from now on," Alainga said.

LUIT