PDA

View Full Version : The Canoe

Christine G
06-22-2014, 08:01 PM
I wrote an analogy after reading some very disappointing comments blaming First Nations people for letting fish in a net rot in a lake. I don't care which ethnicity did it, I care that SOMEONE is doing this and needs to be caught. So I got to thinking and wrote this analogy about relations between aboriginals and non-aboriginals:

Aboriginals have a canoe, an old yet sturdy canoe built from life long traditions. Non-Aboriginals come along with a newer canoe and soon find a way to get all the Aboriginals onto the "better" canoe. For a long time the aboriginals sit at the back of the canoe, wondering where they are being lead and why they don't have a say in where they are going. The aboriginals start to speak up and demand their right to an oar, they should have an equal amount of power over where the canoe goes. When the aboriginals finally get their oar, they aren't too sure about how to paddle properly because they have been at the back of the canoe the whole time, dreaming of the day they would hold the oar. But many leaders holding the oar had forgotten their traditions, the way they used to canoe before. The non-aboriginal side yells directions and insults at the aboriginal side, mocking them for having trouble steering or not holding the oar they way they were holding theirs. Soon, the aboriginal side is learning quickly and demanding their own canoe. Their own canoe!? They were given an oar, to steer half of a canoe that decides their future. That should have been enough. The aboriginal side begins to gain strength and momentum, they start to strongly paddle the canoe in their direction. This bold action angers the non-aboriginal side, this wasn't the direction they had planned for. So the non-aboriginal side grab their oar and start to firmly turn the canoe back where they want it. As the canoe is being violently pushed back and forth between both sides, people are being splashed, everyone is getting angry and no one notices many of the woman and girls on the aboriginal side have fallen in the water and drowned. When the aboriginal side points to the fallen women and girls and begs to spare the rest, many of the non-aboriginals say "that is your side of the canoe". We need to find a way to work together in this modern day canoe that we are all sitting in.

What do you think of my analogy?